Electrical Hazards in the Home

Have you ever known anyone who lost their home and everything they had because of an electrical problem they didn't notice?

5 Steps To A Safer Home

1.

Do not run extension cords across doorways or under carpets. Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by one of our Master Electricians. Use extension cords only for temporary situations

2.

Replace any power points that are broken, if they do not hold a plug securely, or hot to the touch, sparks, or makes a noise when you insert or remove a plug. Power points are not very expensive. Also look for frayed wires and replace them. Again you may want to get a Master Electrician. Better safe then sorry.

3.

Replace any or all faceplates that may be cracked or damaged so you don't accidentally touch a plug to a live portion of the power point when plugging your appliance in. Only use multi-plug adapters for a short period of time.

4.

Test all your RCD devices. In older houses (Pre 2000) these are used in the kitchen by the sink and in the bathroom. Plug a hair dryer or another appliance into the RCD receptacle, turn the appliance on then press the test button. The power point should shut itself off. If not, press the test button again. If the appliance still does not shut off then replace the RCD power point with a new one. In newer houses RCD devices are installed directly in the switchboard. To test these press the test button, if the Circuit Breaker does not trip consult a Master Electrician.

5.

Light bulbs can get very hot. Make sure nothing that can burn is close to the bulb. The halogen type light bulbs get very hot and could ignite any combustible materials that are too close. Most light fixtures are labeled to show the wattage of the bulb that can be safely used in that fixture or appliance. Do not use a higher watt then it calls for. Check all the bulbs in every room, attic and garage.